Here’re some crucial information needed for your travel planning in Karnataka
Major Airports in Karnataka
Karnataka has 8 operational airports with scheduled commercial flights. Two of these serve both domestic and international sectors while others offer regional/domestic services.
|#||Airport Name||City||Code||Service||Major Airlines|
|1||Kempegowda International Airport (BIAL)||Bengaluru||BLR||Domestic & International||Air India, Air France, Lufthansa, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, British Airways, Indigo, AirAsia, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia, Srilankan, Vistara, Spicejet, Ethiopian, Malindo Air|
|2||Bajpe International Airport||Mangaluru||IXE||Domestic & International||Air India Express, Indigo, Spicejet|
|3||Hubballi Airport||Hubballi||HBX||Domestic||Air India, Spicejet, Indigo|
|4||Belagavi Airport||Belagavi||IXG||Domestic||Air India, Spicejet|
|5||Kalaburagi Airport||Kalaburagi||GBI||Domestic||Star Air|
|6||Jindal Vijayanagara Airport||Ballary||VDY||Domestic||Trujet|
|7||Mysuru Airport||Mysuru||MYQ||Domestic||Air India, Trujet, Spicejet|
Disclaimer: Flight schedules may vary from time to time at airline’s discretion. Please refer to respective airline websites to know latest schedule.
Local Transport Options
- KSRTC has extensive network of bus services connecting all cities of Karnataka. Refer ksrtc.in for details.
- Within Bengaluru city, BMTC operates an extensive network of buses connecting all parts of city.
- Karnataka also has large network of private bus operators. These buses can be booked through your nearest travel agent, online on respective operator websites or on aggregators such as Redbus.in, Abhibus.in etc
- All cities/districts have their own network of local bus services.
Karnataka has large number of taxi operators, app based aggregators as well as self drive car and bike renal companies. Taxi can be booked online, via app, through a hotel/nearby travel agent or by walking into designated taxi stands in airports/railway stations.
Other options: Autorikshaws are popular modes of commute for short distances. App based scooter rentals (such as Bounce), Cycle rentals (such as Trin Trin in Mysuru), Tonga in Mysuru, Metro service in Bengaluru are other popular options.
- While there’s no limit of cash visitors can bring into Karnataka, Indian customs may require you to declare any amount in excess of USD 10000 or equivalent.
- All major cities have foreign exchange shops and airports have forex counters to convert your cash into local currency. Online services like bookmyforex can also be available
- Luxury hotels often accept payment in major foreign currencies.
- Karnataka has strong network of Banks and ATMs- cash withdrawal can be done using your international visa/mastercard credit or debit cards (charges may apply). Bank branches operate six days a week. Timing and holidays may vary.
- Most vendors accept electronic payments such as Google Pay, PayTM or credit/debit card payments. However carrying some cash is advised.
Timezone: India has only one time zone (IST) which is GMT + 5.30 hours.
|2||Ambulance||102, 108, 1066|
|4||State Forest Department||Whatsapp +91 6363308040|
|6||Pink Taxi (Taxi for women with female drivers)||http://www.gopinkcabs.com/
(+91) 9880847487 / 080 23121234
|8||Indian Railway Helpline||139|
- All kinds of drugs and narcotic substances, activities such as smuggling and prostitution are illegal in Karnataka and will attract prosecution. Trespassing restricted areas, operating drones without permission and violation of any local rules and restriction should be avoided at all times.
- Smoking is prohibited in public areas. Few facilities like airports may provide designated areas for smoking.
- Nudity is not permitted in any beaches, waterfalls, pools or other public/tourist areas. PDA is discouraged.
All kind of Indian, Western and Chinese food are available in metro cities of Karnataka. Rural destinations may have limited options. Tap water is not certified to be potable in Karnataka hence drinking RO treated water or mineral water is recommended.
Karnataka gets different weather in different seasons and geographies. Prepare depending on your time of visit and region.
- Rainy Season: Often from June till September, heavy to very heavy rainfall is witnessed in coastal Karnataka, Malenadu (Western Ghats) region. Rest of South Karnataka receives moderate to heavy rains in this period. North Karnataka region receives light to moderate rains.
- Winter season: October to February is probably the best season to explore Karnataka due to highly favorable weather.
- Summer season: March to May will see a relatively hotter season in Karnataka. While hill stations remain cool and attractive destination in this season, central and North Karnataka region witnesses high to very high temperature, often discouraging outdoor exploration.
Code of conduct:
- It is a custom in almost all temples of India to leave the footwear outside.
- Respectful dressing is advised while visiting temples
- Please observe and follow any other rules specific to religious places you are planning to visit.
What to pack?
- Dress materials and protective gear as per season
- Accessories and medicines if any as needed.
Most useful apps in Karnataka
|1||Transport||Ola, Uber, Redbus, Zoomcar, KSRTC, Bounce, MyBMTC, TrinTrin|
|3||Mobile wallets||GPay, PayTM|
|4||Travel Planning||Makemytrip, Yatra, Cleartrip, IRCTC|