Sharavathi Valley Wildlife Sanctuary is located in the Sharavathi River Valley of Sagar taluk in Shivamogga District. The area of the Sanctuary is around 431.23 Sq. Km. The Sanctuary lies in the Western Ghats, mainly covered with evergreen and semi-evergreen forests in the valleys and grassy patches on hilltops, and is immensely rich in flora and fauna both in variety and diversity. The Sanctuary is immensely rich in species like Dhoopa, Gulmavu, Surahonne, Mavu, Nandi, etc. It also harbors wildlife like Bison, Spotted deer, Tiger, Panther, etc.
Major attractions to visit inside Sharavathi Valley Wildlife Sanctuary
- Jog Falls
- Linganamakki Reservoir
- Honnemaradu Backwaters
- Sigandur backwaters and Chowdeshwari Temple
- Butterflies of different kinds
- Wild Animals such as tigers, lion-tailed macaque, wild dogs, sloth bears, wild boars, jackals, deers, Malabar giant squirrels, leopards
- Birds such as minivets, herons, woodpeckers, hornbills, and many more
- Reptiles such as Python, Rat Snake, Monitor lizard, crocodiles, and King Cobra
Best Season To Visit
September - April
The sanctuary is immensely rich in species like Dhoopa, Gulmavu, Surahonne, Mavu, Nandi etc. It also harbours wildlife Bison, Spotter Deer, Tiger, Panther etc.
Places To Stay
Sharavathi Adventure Camps operated by Jungle Lodges & Resorts Ltd offers cottage style accommodation
How To Reach
Mangalore International Airport is the nearest airport ( 185 Kms ).
The nearest railway station is Talaguppa Railway Station ( 20 Kms ).
One can drive from Bangalore to Sharavathi Sanctuary which is about 417 Kms.
Dabbe Falls ( 61 Kms ), Maranakatte ( 63 Kms ), Aghoreshwara Temple ( 50 kms )are some of the places to visit along with Sharavathi Sanctuary.