$1 per person
Murudeshwara is a temple town in Bhatkala Taluk, North Canara district in Coastal Karnataka. Located on the main Mangalore- Karwar Highway, Murudeshwara is sandwiched between the picturesque Western Ghats and the Arabian Sea. Its main attraction is a Shiva Temple with Chalukya and Kadamba sculptures built in the Dravidian style of architecture with an awesome Shiva statue and its pristine beach. The temple is located on a hillock which offers a magnificent view of the sea. The temple complex is famous for its tall Shiva statue which is around 37 m high and is the tallest Shiva statue in India. The temple gopura at 237 ft is the 2nd tallest in India. From across the beach, one can see the mammoth statue sparkling against the backdrop of a blue sky. There is also a huge statue of the Gitopadesha depicted in the lush garden here complete with a chariot.
Things to do in Murudeshwara:
- Murudeshwara Temple: Built on Kanduka hill surrounded by ocean on 3 sides houses the main deity, Sri Mridesa or Murudeshwara.
- Sun Chariot: A golden coloured sun chariot next to the Shiva statue depicts Arjuna receiving geethopadesam (teaching of Bhagavad Gita) from Lord Krishna
- Climb up the temple tower (Raja Gopura): Raja Gopura has 20 stories, accessible by an elevator. Visitors can reach the top floor of the temple tower to get a grand view of the Shiva Statue and ocean.
- Water sports on the beach: Jet Ski rides and boat rides
- Scuba Diving at Netrani Island: A must try adventure sports
Places to visit near Murudeshwara: Jog Falls (90 kms), Gokarna (80 kms), Maravanthe Beach (55 kms), Idagunji Mahaganapathi Temple (20 kms) are the major attractions to visit along with Murudeshwara.
How to reach Murudeshwara: Murudeshwara is 490 kms from Bengaluru and 155 kms from Mangaluru. Mangaluru is the nearest airport. Murudeshwara Railway station is just 3 kms from town. Regular bus services are available to reach Murudeshwara from all major cities in Coastal Karnataka.
Places to stay near Murudeshwara: Several budget and mid range hotels, luxury resorts are available in Murudeshwara.