Malpe is a calm beach town near the temple town of Udupi in Coastal Karnataka. Malpe is known for its fishing harbor, St Mary’s Island and beaches.
Reasons to Visit Malpe:
- Malpe Beach: The beach is a virgin beach, located at a distance about 6 kms from Udupi. It is an important port and a fishing harbour in the state of Karnataka. The endless stretch of golden sand, graciously swaying palm trees, clear blue sky and the gentle murmur of the sea, set the perfect mood for an idyllic holiday. Be sure to visit the Balarama Temple and Malpe’s oldest tile factory, set up by the Basel Mission.
- St Mary’s Island, Malpe: St Mary’s Island is a popular picnic spot, a short boat ride away from Malpe harbour.
- Kadike Beach: A lesser-known beach north of Malpe Beach
- Padukere Beach: Another beach south of Malpe
- Sea walk Malpe: A small stretch of walkway formed over rocks placed to facilitate entry and exit of boats into Malpe Harbor.
- Temples: Malpe is known for Vadabhandeshwara Balarama temple
- Water sports: Water sports at the beach includes parasailing and banana boat rides but subject to favourable weather and operator discretion.
- Industries: Malpe is known for shipbuilding, fisheries, tile making and coconut processing industries
Places to visit near Malpe Beach:
Visitors can head to Udupi to visit Sri Krishna Temple (5 kms) or Kapu beach and lighthouse (20 kms from Malpe) to spend the rest of the day. Mangaluru city (60 kms) offers more beaches, temples and attractions for an extended weekend trip.
How to reach Malpe: Malpe is 410 kms from Bengaluru and 60 kms from Mangaluru. Udupi is the nearest railway station. Regular buses are available to reach Udupi from all parts of Karnataka and from Udupi. The beach can be reached by hiring auto or taxi.
Places to stay near Malpe: Few resorts are available near the beach. Nearby town of Udupi offers multiple budget and luxury stay options. KSTDC manages Paradise Isle Beach Resort in Malpe. Houseboat stay is also possible at Kodi Bengre, 12 kms from Malpe.