$1 per person
Kali Tiger Reserve, earlier known as Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve, is located in the central portion of Uttara Kannada (North Canara) district of Karnataka state. It is sandwiched between Haliyal and Karwar forest divisions and covers parts of Haliyal, Karwar and Joida taluks. The Tiger Reserve comprises two important protected areas of the region viz., Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (475.018 Km²) and Anshi National Park (339.866 Km²). These two protected areas are contiguous to each other and form a single tract of protected area located in the biologically sensitive Western Ghats. These two protected areas were administratively unified under Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve (DATR) in the year 2007. The tiger reserve is headed by a Conservator of Forests. There are two sub-divisions, namely, Dandeli and Anshi wildlife sub-divisions, and consist of six ranges, namely, Kulgi, Phansoli, Gund, Anshi, Kumbarwada and Castlerock wildlife ranges. Forests of the Tiger Reserve are primarily moist deciduous and semi-evergreen, with excellent patches of evergreen forests in the westernmost parts as well as in deep valleys. Animals found in the Tiger Reserve include Tiger, Leopard, Elephant, Bison, Wild dog, Sambar, Spotted deer, Sloth bear, Wild boar, Hanuman langur, Bonnet macaque, varieties of reptiles and birds including all four species of hornbills as its residents., etc.
Kali Tiger Reserve is home to rare black panthers.
Activities and places of interest near Kali Tiger Reserve
- Jungle safari is organized in Kali Tiger reserve twice a day- 6AM to 8AM and 4PM to 6PM. Phansoli is the reporting point and guests are advised to report at least 15 minutes prior to departure time. Current Safari fee is INR 450 per person and guests may call 08284 231585 for reservations, queries or directions.
- Ulavi Caves: Home to Chennabasaveshwara temple and multiple caves- Akala Gavi, Vibhooti Kanaja, Akka Nagamma Cave, Rudrakshi Mantapa are the main ones.
- Syntheri Rocks: River flowing through sharp rocks, forming rapids
- Kadra Dam: Dam across river Kali
- Supa Dam: Another dam off Karwar-Dandeli road.
- Shirve Gudda trekking: Popular trekking trail
- Forest Safari: Jeep Safaris into the forest is available from Dandeli. Check with Kali Adventure Camp run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd..
- Bird-watching: High probability of spotting hornbills and other rare birds.
- Adventure Sports: White water rafting, kayaking and other water sports are conducted in Kali River, organized by Jungle Lodges & Resorts
How to reach Kali Tiger Reserve:
Kali Tiger Reserve is 500 kms from Bengaluru, 340 kms from Mangaluru and 70 kms from district hq Karwar. Hubballi is the closest airport (110 kms) while Karwar and Hubballi and Karwar are nearest major railway stations. Dandeli is the nearest big town while Phansoli village (12 kms from Dandeli) is the reporting point to board Jungle Safaris in Kali Tiger Reserve.
Forest department operated nature camps are available at Kulgi (10 kms from Dandeli), Anshi (50 kms from Dandeli) and Castle Rock (65 kms from Dandeli). Jungle Lodges & Resorts operates Kali Adventure Camp and Old Magazine House in Dandeli. Multiple private homestays and resorts are available in and around Dandeli.