$1 per person
Kali Tiger Reserve, earlier known as Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve, is located in the central portion of the Uttara Kannada (North Canara) district of Karnataka state. It is sandwiched between Haliyal and Karwar forest divisions and covers parts of Haliyal, Karwar, and Joida taluks. The Tiger Reserve comprises two important protected areas of the region viz., Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary (475.018 Km²) and Anshi National Park (339.866 Km²). These two protected areas are contiguous to each other and form a single tract of the protected area located in the biologically sensitive Western Ghats. These two protected areas were administratively unified under Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve (DATR) in the year 2007. The tiger reserve is headed by a Conservator of Forests. There are two sub-divisions, namely, Dandeli and Anshi wildlife sub-divisions, and consist of six ranges, namely, Kulgi, Phansoli, Gund, Anshi, Kumbarwada, and Castlerock wildlife ranges. Forests of the Tiger Reserve are primarily moist deciduous and semi-evergreen, with excellent patches of evergreen forests in the westernmost parts as well as in deep valleys. Animals found in the Tiger Reserve include Tiger, Leopard, Elephant, Bison, Wild dog, Sambar, Spotted deer, Sloth bear, Wild boar, Hanuman langur, Bonnet macaque, varieties of reptiles and birds including all four species of hornbills as its residents., etc.
Kali Tiger Reserve is home to rare black panthers.
Activities and places of interest near Kali Tiger Reserve
- Jungle safari is organized in Kali Tiger reserve twice a day- 6 AM to 8 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM. Phansoli is the reporting point and guests are advised to report at least 15 minutes prior to departure time. The current Safari fee is INR 450 per person and guests may call 08284 231585 for reservations, queries, or directions.
- Ulavi Caves: Home to Chennabasaveshwara temple and multiple caves- Akala Gavi, Vibhooti Kanaja, Akka Nagamma Cave, Rudrakshi Mantapa are the main ones.
- Syntheri Rocks: River flowing through sharp rocks, forming rapids
- Kadra Dam: Dam across river Kali
- Supa Dam: Another dam off Karwar-Dandeli road.
- Shirve Gudda trekking: Popular trekking trail
- Forest Safari: Jeep Safaris into the forest is available from Dandeli. Check with Kali Adventure Camp run by Jungle Lodges and Resorts Ltd.
- Bird-watching: High probability of spotting hornbills and other rare birds.
- Adventure Sports: White water rafting, kayaking, and other water sports are conducted in Kali River, organized by Jungle Lodges & Resorts
Best Season To Visit
March - May
The Park is a habitat of Bengal Tigers, Black Panthers and Indian Elephants, amongst other distinctive fauna
Places To Stay
Multiple private homestays and resorts are available in and around Dandeli
How To Reach
Hubli Domestic Airport ( HBX ) is the nearest airport ( 110 Kms )
Hubli Railway Station is the nearest railway station ( 112 Kms )
One can drive from Bengaluru to Kali Tiger Reserve which is 500 Kms
Sathodi Falls (87 Kms), Syntheri Rocks (36 Kms), Kodasalli Dam (68 Kms) are some of the other attractions that can be visited along with Kali Tiger Reserve