$1 per person
Folklore Museum in Mysuru showcases over 6500 artifacts belonging to folk art, craft, music, literature and drama. Folklore museum was set up in 1968 and is a one stop shop to gain great insights into Karnataka’s vast expanse of folklore and heritage.
Major Exhibits in Folklore Museum
- Masks, Dolls and puppets
- Folklore musical instruments such as Kinnari, Choudike, Tamburi etc
- Kathakali dance costumes
- Hanuman Crown
- Miniature versions of kings, queens, god and goddess statues, soldiers
- Yakshagana costumes and accessories
- Items of folk artists from Andhra Pradesh and items of Soliga community
- Instruments used by farmers, blacksmiths, goldsmiths, weavers etc
- Traditional household equipments, utensils
Timings to visit The Folklore Museum: Folklore Museum in Mysuru is open from 8.30 AM till 6 PM on all days.
Places to visit near The Folklore Musuem: GRS Fantasy Park is 6 kms from the Folklore Museum. Nearby Mysuru city has several palaces, zoo and temples
How to reach the Folklore Museum:
Folklore Museum is located 6 kms from Mysuru city centre, inside Mysuru University’s Manasa Gangotri campus. Mysuru is well connected by Air, Rail and Road network. Auto, taxi or Tanga can be hired in Mysuru to reach the Folklore Museum.
Places to stay near Folklore Museum: Mysuru city has several budgets, mid range and luxury accommodations.