$1 per person
Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary was declared a sanctuary in 2011and extends over 134.88 Sq.kms. It is the first dry land Wildlife Sanctuary in South India. This is the only area in the Hyderabad Karnataka Region with rich floristic diversity. The forest hosts rich biodiversity. Apart from medicinal herbs and trees, species like Red Sanders and Sandalwood are found abundantly. The Sanctuary has good dry deciduous and Moist deciduous forest in the core with Acacia and Teak plantations on the fringes. Apart from Chandrampalli dam, four small dams exist at its Centre. The forest is also home to fauna like Black Buck, Common Fox, Four-horned Antelope, Fruit bat, Hyena, Indian Wolf etc. Over 35 species of birds, including Black Drongo, Black-winged Kite, Blossom – headed Parakeet, Blue pigeon, Black-headed Oriole and Grey partridge are also found in this Sanctuary.
Highlights of Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Safe haven for Wolf and Hyena: Wolves and Hyenas are the primary attractions of Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Similarity with Western Ghats: Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary is the only area in Hyderabad-Karnataka region to have several features of forests in Western Ghats.
- Spread over five blocks: Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary consists of five blocks- Chincholi Forest, Sangapura Forest, Bhonsapur Forest, Magdumpur Forest and Shadipur forest.
- Rich Flora: Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary is home to dry and moist deciduous trees in its core zone and teak, acacia plantations in the outer area. Medicinal herbs, sandalwood and red sanders trees are also found in Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Chandrampalli Dam: Chandrampalli dam, along with four smaller dams provide water to habitats of Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Local Tribes: Chincholi is also home to Lambani Tandas, a protected tribal community that lives in the forests in harmony with nature.
How to reach
Chincholi Wildlife Sanctuary is 609 kms from Bengaluru and 100 kms from district capital Kalaburagi. Kalaburagi airport is 89 kms away. Humnabad is the nearest railway station (58 kms away). Taxis can be hired from Kalaburagi or Humnabad to reach Chincholi.
Chincholi town has few budget hotels. More options are available in Humnabad and Kalaburagi.