$11 per person
Spread across an area of 60 acres, Brindavan Gardens is at the bottom of the Krishnaraja Sagara Dam (KRS), across the river Cauvery. Modelled on the Shalimar Gardens of Kashmir, the garden entices visitors with its lush green lawns, terraces, flower beds, topiary and multihued fountains. Today, the Brindavan Gardens is world-famous for its ethereal beauty and grandeur. An endless expanse of green, dotted with colourful blooms, the terraced gardens are well laid and admired for their symmetrical design. The highlight for visitors, however, is the famed musical fountain which is a water ballet of sorts, with lights and music and is played every evening for the tourists.
Krishnaraja Sagara Dam (KRS): The engineers and planners of the erstwhile Mysuru State had envisioned this dam, with many objectives in mind like providing drinking water to Mysuru/ adjacent places, to supply water to the hydro-electric power station at Shivasamudra and for a continuous supply of Cauvery water for irrigational purposes. Due to the hard work and expertise of great visionaries like Bharat Ratna Sir M. Vishweshwaraya, T Ananda Rao, Sir Mirza Ismail and other engineers. the dam work was completed between 1911-1932. The dam is 8600 feet in length and 130 feet in height.
What to expect at Brindavan Gardens:
- Garden: Vast, well maintained botanical garden spread over 60 acres. A straight line of water fountains run at the centre. Wide range of exotic flowers and trees including marigold, bougainvillea, ficus trees, celosia can be spotted in Brindavan Gardens
- Multi terrace structure: Brindavan Gardens elevation increases as one walks closer towards KRS Dam. The elevation offers an excellent view of the garden below.
- Children Park: An area for kids
- Nursery: Nursery houses saplings of several flower plants and trees. Visitors can purchase seeds and saplings.
- Lake & Boating: Visitors can enjoy a boat ride in the lake.
- Photo opportunity: Extremely picturesque Brindavan garden has been featured in hundreds of movies and offers excellent photo opportunities.
- Musical Fountain: Brindavan garden is famous for well-orchestrated musical fountain show, held after sunset every day.
Timings to visit Brindavan Gardens:
Brindavan Gardens is open from 8 AM to 9 PM. Ticket sales close 30 min before closing time. Musical fountain runs after sunset, 6.30 PM and 7.30 PM (weekdays), 8.30 PM (weekends). It is recommended to visit just before sunset hours – around 4 to 5 PM, explore the gardens in daylight, witness the musical fountain after sunset and return.
Places to visit near Mysuru:
Srirangapatna (19 kms), Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary (16 kms) and Mysuru city (18 kms) can be visited along with Brindavan Gardens.
How to reach Brindavan Gardens:
Brindavan Gardens is 145 kms from Bengaluru and 18 kms from Mysuru. Mysuru airport is the closest airport just 25 kms away. Mysuru is also the closest train station. Taxis can be hired from Mysuru city to reach Brindavan Gardens.
Places to stay near Brindavan Gardens:
KSTDC runs Hotel Mayura Cauveri near Brindavan Gardens. Royal Orchid Brindavan Garden Palace & Spa is a luxury property overlooking Brindavan Gardens. Nearby Mysuru city has more accommodations suitable to all budget groups.